Thursday, September 19, 2013

Do good communication skills improve your code?

What is one of the primary design flaws we see over and over in software?

Tight coupling.

I started wondering why this might be. I thought about the mental process I go through when attempting to write cohesive, decoupled code. I realized that is was very similar to the mental process I go through when composing paragraphs and sentences.

Could there be a correlation between composition skills in one's native language and their skill at designing and developing loosely coupled software solutions?

Certainly Uncle Bob Martin's book "Clean Code" suggests something of the sort. In it he approaches method writing much like telling a story. If one is better at communicating written stories, perhaps they would be better at this form of design.

UPDATE: I found this link after posting that I thought I would share: http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/10/the-real-reason-silicon-valley-coders-write-bad-software/263377/

What do you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment